Did you know that the CHOC Cows consist of a 600 herd participating in the 947 cycle challenge and to date have raised more than 24 million rand for CHOC.
When The Cows started in 2008 it was to remember little 20 month old Jessica Bain who passed away from cancer earlier that year. Jess’ parents, Grant and Kerrin Bain, had seen the impact that CHOC Childhood Cancer Foundation South Africa had on children and their families who are affected by cancer and wanted to give something back. They wanted to do something different, something special…. something to knock everyone’s socks off. So they took to the 94 7 Cycle Challenge in woolly cow suits and an ice cream bike with the blind faith that they would do something memorable and raise some money for CHOC. Little did they know that their actions would be the spark to ignite The Cows movement. The 94 7 cycle race, with an Ironman, a couple Comrades runners and some ex-couch potatoes, proved to be a winning combination as they hit the streets to help raise funds for CHOC.
In celebration of their 10th year, and in memory of their bright eyed wonder, they have set their sights on making sure this one is a cracker-jack of a year! And to do this, they need your help! Think about what you want to achieve in this world. To help others? To be a better version of yourself? To remember a loved one? To get off the couch and get your bike out of the shed? Then band together a group of friends and join The Cows for a year you will never forget. Maybe even take your cycling to the next level and join the two-lap Apocalypse Cows?
SO, HOW CAN YOU GET INVOLVED?
Any of you who have joined us before will know that the most important thing is that you get involved, have FUN and by doing that you can change the lives of kids with cancer. In a nutshell that is what we are about. So now you may ask how you can help us raise funds here are a few suggestions, rough ideas and if none of these take your fancy then carve out your own idea and turn it into something awesome!
- Join our herd and have a life changing experience: the Telkom 947 (19 November) you can take part as a regular Cow in body sculpting lycra (R6k), a SuperCow in a woolly cow suit (R20k)
- If you prefer the adrenaline of mountain biking - The Bainbridge Believe MTB takes place in September and is a brilliant race for all levels of riders.
- Going nowhere – The 100 Mile of Nowhere campaign (November).
- The Great Annual Bike Ride Across Natal – also known as the GABRAN, this legendary event takes place 18-20 August.
- The Comrades Marathon is an ultramarathon of approximately 89 km (approx. 56 miles) which is run annually in the KwaZulu-Natal Province of South Africa.
- Over Easter a number of Cows ran the Old Mutual Two Oceans Half and Ultra Marathon in memory of Lee Naka.
- The aQuelle Midmar Mile
- We have Sun City in October with events for all ages and abilities.
Some of us just perform better socially than in athletic pursuits…. Poker Evenings, Whiskey Tasting, Barnyard Evenings, Raffles, Quiz Nights, Comedy Shows, High Teas, Auctions … the list goes on and on, there are no limits.
Love Living Life …. dream as if you'll live forever and live as if you'll die today!